3D Yak Shaving

The past few weeks have been filled with failed prints and frustration as I tried to dial in the 3D printer. Along the way, Lauren and I discovered missing set screws, bed leveling problems, extruder jams, and a variety of other minor ills. When you can only start prints every few days, these setbacks really add up.

clojure.lang.LazySeq@f4f6e356

Now, however, I think things are more or less settled. I got a few good prints out of the printer following some careful calibration and cleaning of the print bed; with TeamViewer I can now stop bad prints mid-way; and I can capture timelapses for failure analysis using SkyStudioPro.

My current project is a model of the space shuttle, and the orbiter nose served as a test print for the latest changes. It came out pretty well:

clojure.lang.LazySeq@e18da719

I'm now running a plate with most of the remaining components.

Also in the works has been some experimentation with epoxies for gluing the polyester sheeting I bought to form an enclosure. As it turns out, very little sticks to polyethylene, so I'm going to have to make my attachments mechanically.

clojure.lang.LazySeq@17eeef0f

Overall, I'm quite excited to have the printer running more-or-less smoothly now. I've had a lot of ups and downs over the years with 3D printers, and I want to return to the level of reliability I had with the Taz when I first set it up.

If you like what I write, you can subscribe to my mailing list to get new posts in your inbox: